You Are There ...


... and we are here, in North Kohala. Birthplace of King Kamehameha I (aka Kamehameha the Great), the creator/unifier/conqueror (depending on your perspective) and first ruler of the Kingdom of Hawai'i.

Shawn and I lived in this historically rich and absolutely gorgeous part of Hawai'i when we first moved here and it is from here that we will begin our Envirobuggy tour.

The little town of Hawi also just happens to be the turnaround point for the cycling portion of the grueling Ironman triathlon. Our first year here, Shawn and I stood together on the sidewalk and cheered and clapped for the awesome athletes who zoomed in, slowed just enough to make it around some cones on the narrow road, and then started their trek back down the Gold Coast to Kailua-Kona.

While I joked that day that I was "Ironmommy" little did I know that I'd be following in these athletes' bikeprints, albeit A LOT more slowly.

We're hitting the road a day later than planned - on Thursday, July 3 - and will bike the first day to Kawaihae. Some of our favorite spots along the way are Kapa'a Beach, Lapakahi State Historical Park, and a secret little spot that Shawn named "Hula Beach" a couple of years ago (it's also where I saw my first whale breach in Hawai'i, actually anwhere). We'll see where Shawn wants to stop and play. Good memories. It'll be a good run, I'm sure.

A hui hou (catch you later!)